Pages

Thursday 3 January 2013

Nose Carving

Panic!! A hand made Christmas present and little time to make it!

I had seen simple joss stick holders in gift shops but to make one of those would be too simple.. how could I make it a bit different. Not sure what went on then in my head but I started sketching an idea to carve a nose.. then what? I know lets give it a cold and make it a runny nose.. oh disgusting.

The present was for my daughter, and she knows me well so I thought she would see the funny side.

I used a bit of silver birch branch I had lying around. Cleaved it with an axe to make a simple blank, then used a carving knife and a couple of gouges to create the sculpture.

I drilled a couple of small  holes in the nostrils for the joss sticks and a screw eye so that it could be hung on a wall.. if it didn't end up in the fire basket!

To finish I thought it would be good to excentuate the carving by using a bit of dark wax, BRIWAX. I have used it before with some success but it really didn't work on this.. made it look cheap and crappy.. I managed to wash most of this off with some white spirit and then cleaned again with some sand paper. I finally used several coats of danish oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment